There’s nothing wrong with wanting to enhance the way you look. The decision to have cosmetic surgery comes after a lot of thinking, research and discussion. Breast augmentation, or breast enlargement, is one such procedure that most women consider very carefully before making a decision.
During the research stage it is important to have a deeper understanding of the breast augmentation procedure. There are essentially 5 aspects in breast augmentation planning regarding breast implants:
- Saline vs silicon gel implants: Breast implants consist of either saline or silicon. saline implants themselves are surrounded by a silicon shell but as they are more fluid than complete silicon implants, they run the risk of showing visible rippling at the sides or deflation if they leak. Cohesive silicon implants are the gold standard as they feel more natural, are safe, and in the unlikely event of leak, will maintain their shape.
- Textured vs smooth implant: Breast implants can either be textured or smooth. Essentially there is a lower contracture rate with textured implants and so are my preferred choice.
- Placement above or below the chest muscle: this is dependent on your anatomy and the shape you wish to attain. This is an important decision and can only be made with your plastic surgeon at the time of an examination.A breast implant can be placed subglandular, submuscular or subfascial.
- Location of the incision: in the breast fold, through the armpit or around the areola. The breast fold approach just below your breast is often the most inconspicuous and hence the most often used.
- Size: The size of a breast implant is often the first question a patient has but often the last answer the plastic surgeon gives. The reason for this is twofold: one, what the patient desires in cup size and secondly what will work on their chest dimensions. For example a 300cc implant may give a C cup in an average woman but may only yield a B cup in someone taller with a wider chest.
These aspects may be confusing to a patient given all the conflicting images and messages on the internet.
I will discuss these elements with you based on your desired look and body shape at your consultation, so it becomes a logical pathway to achieve your desired result. All procedures are performed with the best – and safest – implants.